The number one reason to install a video surveillance system is for your own protection and peace of mind.
Being able to see what’s happening outside your property, who’s at your front or back doors, or investigating activities on the street outside -- all from the safety of your own house -- helps keep you safe.
Should anything bad happen on your property you will have evidence that’s hard to refute – it’s not your word against someone else. In addition, the video footage that you will record also may be useful to NOPD, as experience in the 8th District has shown.
It’s generally agreed that there are three things that will make our streets safer:
1. Increase the number of Police Officers
- More NOPD Officers unlikely anytime soon, however.
- Security Districts may utilize NOPD Officers working Details and/or hire Private Security Companies to boost police presence in their neighborhoods.
2. Improve Lighting
- Improving lighting on your property will help. Rapidly notify the City by calling 311 when streetlights are not working
3. Install Video Surveillance Cameras
- Helps protect your neighborhood
- Provides video footage to NOPD to help solve crimes